Friday, August 6, 2010

Angels Unaware

As many of you know, during the past 2 weeks we had the opportunity to open our home to...well... strangers!

Not strangers in the broader sense, as these were friends, of friends, of friends (my parents friends children/grandchildren); but strangers in the sense that we did not know them or know anything of them. What we did know is that they were reformed believers and they were traveling out here to welcome their son home from Iraq.

We do so love to be hospitable; to open our home to friends, family, and those in need. So without too much thought on the matter, we quickly extended the invitation to stay with us.
Despite the gut feeling that this was the right thing to do, it still took some courage to invite strangers to live with us, especially while my husband was away. Looking back, I smile when I think of how much courage it must have taken on their part too--to send the email or make the phone call and say, "can you help us?" (Wow!!)
It was only after they moved out yesterday that I re-discovered the verse, Heb 13:2
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."
I don't know if they were angels, but sometimes they certainly seemed that way!! This family was very kind and helpful and provided not only a great distraction while Nick was gone, but also wonderful conversations, assistance with house chores, and free babysitting, to name a few. It was wonderful to see how the Lord worked in the situation, allowing us to bless and help each other.
+
+
As I reflect on the last few weeks and thank the Lord for his blessings, I also meditate on the above verse and remember that being hospitable is not just something that Nick and I like to do, it is something that we are commanded to do in Scripture. I Peter 4:9:
"Be hospitable to one another without complaint."
+
+
So...doesn't this make you contemplate true hospitality? Am I really hospitable? Do I do it as unto the Lord? Do I open my door only when it is convenient or personally worthwhile? Am I happy or begrudging to share my home, my food, my life?
+
+
Matthew 25-35-40
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

1 comment:

Grandma said...

I am so glad you were able to show hospitality to the K's. What joy to bless one another. I am also so happy for you that Nick is on his way home. Reunions are sweet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...