Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Birthday, oh birthday

It's just 4 days till my birthday.



And like a little kid... I can't WAIT!!


How many twenty-something females do you know who would say that?????????????


I'm an oddity, I know. I do love birthdays though. I love the cake and ice cream. I love blowing out candles. I love cards and I love gifts. But most of all, I love to be reminded of the time God has given me here on earth and to bow before Him in thankfulness.


Twenty-plus years now, I've lived in this world and grown from a wee babe. I learned to read and write. I learned to drive and have had (relatively) few speeding tickets. I graduated from college. I passed the NCLEX (nursing boards) with flying colors. I married the love of my life and had 3 beautiful babies. I've bought 3 homes. I've traveled far and wide. The list could go on and on...


And I suppose, the list could also include the things I have not accomplished in my lifetime, though I wish I had! Like driving a stick shift, having my Master's Degree, and selling 3 homes.


But my life is really not (and should not) be a story of my accomplishments, or even failures, but rather a story of God's mercy and grace. In the twenty-something years I've lived, God saved me from my sins. He washed me clean and clothed me with His righteousness. He justified me. And now He's conforming me to His image with abundant mercy and grace, for I am so stubborn and stiff-necked.

When it's put like that, how can you NOT rejoice and be thankful for all your days? How can you not be filled with joy and thanksgiving--when you see the work God is doing in your life, in spite of you and your sinfulness?



Oh Lord, "teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."~Psalm 90:12)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i love birthday's too! every 24th of the month I will tell Scot "you know...it's only x more months until my birthday!" (big grin) so i'm with you on that!! happy early birthday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...