Friday, July 23, 2010

The straight and narrow



Lately, for Isaiah, it's all about opposites. Life is about being righteous or evil, going to heaven or hell, or following God or Satan. Last night was a prime example. A sweet and amazing example. 3 year olds don't miss much, that's all I can say.





As I was getting boys ready for bed, Isaiah came and sat next to me on the floor. He put his legs out straight in front of him, and wiggled his toes.







"Mom," he said," I'm just going to put my legs out straight...and I'm not going to bend them. I'm going to keep them straight"





"That's great, Isaiah. It's fun to sit with straight legs," I replied.




He said, "Yeah, because... I want to keep my legs straight, and not let them be crooked. Because, well, I want my legs to be straight, like the straight and narrow path to heaven. And I'm not going to have my legs be crooked... because the crooked path leads to hell."




"That's right, Isaiah!!"




"And... Mommy?? I don't want to have crooked speech either. Because bad guys have crooked speech. And that means that they tell lies. And that breaks God's law."







I love these deep conversations with my 3 year old. And I'm so glad that he's been paying attention in our family devotions through Proverbs. The book is so full of contrasts that capitivate my young childs mind.

Proverbs 8:8-9

"All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. They are all straight to him who understands and right to those who find knowledge."


4 comments:

Alicia said...

What a wonderful blessing to hear your son say those things and grasp the truths of Scripture!

Anna said...

That's a beautiful conversation! Thanks for sharing. Such an encouragement to start teaching from the very beginning because they truly pick up more than we know (or at least more than I know). :)

Grandma said...

What sweet words, Isaiah! Proverbs 15:23 + 24 says: "The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips. Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones." May God give you sweet words to speak and keep you on the straight and narrow. I love you.

Hannah said...

Oh wow, what a precious boy he is! You and Nick are doing so well, keep up the good work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...