Saturday, January 17, 2009

Feeling nostalgic




















I've been looking through old pictures to put on the wall in our bedroom, and thought I would share a few of them with you all. When I look back, its hard to believe we've been married for 4 1/2 years, and even harder to believe that we pulled this wedding together in less than 2 weeks! Wow!
+
+
I'll never forget all the details that fell into place. For those of you that were involved, thank you again for the work that you did!
+
+
Nick had been stationed in South Korea, and had just received deployment orders to Iraq. We had initially been told that they would not give the soldiers leave to visit their families. This changed, and Nick was given 2 weeks of vacation to come home. We had been engaged for 9 months at this point, with the wedding plans in the works for a January (not June) wedding. As soon as we got the go ahead from my parents that we could do the wedding before Nick deployed-- we hit the ground running. We quickly decided on a date, June 4th based on my schooling, as I was in my senior year of college, with final exams, presentations and projects all due the week before and week of the wedding. I would graduate from college the Friday after we got married.
+
+
Once the date was in place, it was amazing how people pitched in and all the details of the wedding came together. We quickly found a gorgeous church to rent with availability in JUNE with less than 2 weeks notice (unheard of!!) My sister, Jen, knew people who ran a catering business, so we got the food lined up right away. Jen also knew some very musically talented people and in a few hours we had a trumpeter (for the grand entry of the bride) a pianist (for background and ceremony music), and two talented vocalists (who sang during the wedding). We had several family members and friends who were photographers, and offered their services. My mom and her close friend set to work in overtime to finish sewing my wedding dress (my mom is a very talented seamstress!). We bought bridesmaid dresses off the rack at a bridal store, and they conveniently had everyones size so there was no waiting or ordering or anything. The guys got all their tux measurements in to Men's Wearhouse from their prospective locations and all the tuxes arrived in WA at the appropriate time as well. Nick flew in from South Korea just in time for us to purchase the marriage license, that required a 3 day wait before it became valid. One of my fellow nursing classmates' mother owns a gourmet bakery and offered to provide the wedding cake. Family members flew in from across the country for the event. All of our immediate family members were able to be there for the wedding, and many of our extended family as well. One of my aunts flew in early to help with planning and decorating. Another aunt took on the role of wedding planner and helped pull all the details together. Costco provided all the wedding flowers/roses. Friends and family spent hours putting bouquets, corsages, and boutineers together. My college professors allowed me to take all my final exams early so that after the wedding we could leave on a week long honeymoon before flying home for my college graduation. My classmates threw me a bridal shower. Nick planned our honeymoon while still overseas...
+
+
It was truly amazing how all the details came together. Of course it was a stressful time, but when I look back on it, I don't think of the stress, I think of how God provided so wonderfully for his children. He brought Nick and I together, gave us an amazing family, an stunning wedding, and time alone together before he left for Iraq. Its neat to see the Lord's hand so obviously in ones life, as the details and plans fell into place in such a short time.
+
+
We are so glad that we got married! I remember people asking, "Was it really worth it? Looking back would you rather have waited till Nick came home?" And the answer is always that we would have done it again, if given the choice. Aside from the fact that we didn't know how long Nick would be gone, or even if he would make it home, Nick and I had been through so much, we had been tested and tried. We'd had had a long courtship (almost 6 years) and had loved each other for so many years. We wanted to be married, to be able to join our hearts and lives before God and man. We had spent so many years holding back, restraining our thoughts, our words, our bodies, and our hearts--- and had been patiently waiting for the moment when we could share our lives completely, not just as friends but as husband and wife.
+
+
God blessed our marriage from the start. It was hard for sure, as Nick was gone for the first year, but we came out of the fire, purified and strong. Nick and I were able to connect and relate on so many levels, and were able to truly open our hearts and minds to each other, and struggle through the challenges together. God used that time apart to strengthen and test, and grow us in our relationship to Him. We learned on a even deeper level what trusting the Lord means. We understood the longing that Christ has to be united with his bride the Church. God bound us together, closer to Him and closer to one another.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Okay, I have to tell you that after reading that I'm bawling my eyes out. I so remember your special day and remember talking to Jenn on how everything was coming together before that day. It was so amazing to be a part of it all. You two are truly blessed...even amidst all the trials. You two are always in my prayers. May God continue to be with you both as you are apart. What wonderful witnesses you both are to all of us who know you.

Grandma said...

You are making me all nostalgic too. It certainly was a very busy time, but the hand of the Lord in working out all the details was certainly evident throughout. What I remember most about your wedding day is the joy on both of your faces, even in the face of pending separation and uncertainty for the year ahead. How graciously the Lord provides for his children!

Jack said...

I LOVE you two! Your note brought tears to my eyes too...as I recall, planning was the last two weeks of my first year of teaching, finals time, the week of my year end concert, and the day after my birthday...rather stressful. I'm reminded me of the missing (fake) champagne glasses that I couldn't find the day of the wedding...and the caterer who volunteered to go get some glasses AND get Starbucks for me...and everything worked out in the end.
(we were very happy--and I will never wear mascara that isn't waterproof to a wedding again) :)

Kathryn said...

Glad you all liked my trip down memory lane. Jen, thanks for all your sacrifices. I have such great family and friends!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...