Monday, October 26, 2009

26.2

It doesn't seem that impressive until you add the word "miles"


Yes, 26.2 miles. A marathon.


And now my husband has run two of these 26.2 mile races just this year. His first marathon was in Iraq of all locations. During Nick's second deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, he was able to participate in a Boston Marathon sponsored race for soldiers. In Iraq. That last part still amazes me.







His second marathon was much closer to home. It took place in Kansas City, MO. Obviously, the race was much different from the first in location, conditions, and climate-- but they still both involved a grueling 26.2 miles.






The best part of the run (for me anyway!!) was there at the finish line. I stood waiting for my husband to come running across. Perhaps you will think it silly, but I stood there with tears in my eyes. I couldn't help it. For a military wife who has been through so much waiting and anticipation, all the same emotions of pride, joy, and amazement came flooding in. Of course a marathon isn't the same as a 15 month deployment, but I felt every bit as proud of my husband at that moment. He had trained hard. He had worked hard. And now had reached the culmination of all the months of effort-- he had finished the big race and had finished well. I'm so glad that we were there to greet him at the end!




The boys were proud too. And they seized the opportunity to congratulate daddy as soon as he got down to stretch. Too cute. :)

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Way to go Nick! We are proud of you too!

Dolly said...

Amazing!I have nothing but admiration for people that can do this. You are such a sweet wife too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...