Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cell phones


While talking on the phone with my sister Jennifer, Joshua quite rudely interrupted the conversation. Apparently the cell phone was just too tasty to ignore!! Both of our boys have always been very interested in phones. From the time Isaiah was little, he loved chewing, playing, and of course pressing buttons on the phone. As he got older he started to enjoy yelling "Hello!!" when the phone would ring, and then began to love talking on the phone itself. Joshua is also showing early interest!
However, in this age of technology, where even 2nd graders have their own cell phones, I wonder what I'm setting my boys up for? I understand the benefits of cell phones--its great to be able to make and receive calls regardless of where you are. But I also recognize that despite the conveniences, there are certainly some down sides. Cell phones are often too convenient and keep us from planning ahead. Instead of making a good shopping list, I can call home to see whats in the fridge. Instead of taking a map or looking up directions, I can call when I get lost. It is definitely a convenience, and those are all reasons why I like to have a cell phone, but I just can't buy into 7 and 8 year old's (or even 13 and 14 year old's), having their own cell phones. Maybe I'm just not up to date enough myself, or maybe I fear that we're setting up our children for a lifetime of poor organization and laziness.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

I love the convenience of cell phones, but sometimes I must admit, I deliberately leave mine at home. Could that be because some of my children love to have me pick up special items for them when I am at the store? It is a blessing however, to hear Isaiah's sweet voice and Joshua's little noises on the phone. It makes them feel closer, bridging the miles instantly, and for that I am thankful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...