Wednesday, May 5, 2010

April Books


Can you tell that I had a baby in the month of April? And that I've been able to take advantage of the time I spend nursing the baby to read a little extra? It's nice to have the excuse to sit still and read... despite all the other busy things I need to be doing. :)
So... in April I read
  • Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Nick has been reading the "Laura" series to the boys each evening at bedtime, and after catching bits and snipits while listening in (and also seeing our boys delight in these stories) I decided to read them myself. These books were childhood favorites and Newberry Award Winners--and I think I'm finding them even more enjoyable as an adult. I've been amazed by the Ingalls Family, their endurance, the challenges they faced, and the incredible amount of work they did EACH DAY! We live close to one of the Ingalls/Wilder homes right now, so hopefully we'll take a visit before we move.
  • Don't Waste your Life by John Piper
What a great and inspiring book!! I have been convicted and encouraged in every chapter. I will say the book is a little repetitive in its theme, but still an excellent read and Piper hammers it home-- Don't WASTE your life!! Live every day for Christ and His glory!!
  • Babywise by Ezzo
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Le Leche League
  • What to Expect when You're Expecting
Another obvious indicator that I had a baby this month! And I know what all you moms are wondering: Babywise AND Le Leche League??? On the same blog post??? What??? :) I think the two combined create a great balance. They both need to be taken/read with a grain of salt and a bit of discernment, but I'll tell you... Babywise gave me SLEEP at night and happy, cheerful, well-rested children... and Le Leche League is a TREMENDOUS resource for moms and is probably the BEST breastfeeding go-to book out there.
  • Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin--- not read in its entirety of course, but touching on topics such as the Church.
  • The Bible-- The Books of 1&2 Samuel and 1&2 Kings-- Obviously dealing with Old Testament Kings, God's dealings with His Chosen People, and numerous accounts of God's faithfulness to them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...